Monday, April 23, 2012

What a week for Key West.....

We left late for our vacation in KW after our daughter had an unexpected knee surgery. We were hesitant but all was well.(Oh poor us??) We arrived to find the unfortunate news of KWT%26#39;s passing. I had never been granted the pleasure of meeting him but had been guided by much well heeded advice. We were looking forward to tipping our glasses with what seemed a very good man. Our dismay. Needless to say, we enjoyed our time with old friends we have have encountered over the years and the new friends we always meet. This trip really grounded us, for several reasons. Upon our return we learned of the fires... Places we have been to, places we JUST returned from.. Thank God everyone was OK.





We have never been anywhere else where everyone is so closely knit from so many different places, all walk of life etc.. Wonderful people who really care about others, who are willing to help, no questions asked.





Our hats off, glasses tipped, to all who appreciate and make up what Key West is all about.





I dare anyone to find another place on this earth that is able to gather such a ';family';.. We feel fortunate for our few weeks a year to be part of this incredible community and we try to continue to carry that on until the next time we are are able to travel to Mile 0.



What a week for Key West.....


Very well said :)



What a week for Key West.....


What Phillygirl said.




Well said. It%26#39;s been a crummy couple of weeks with Q%26#39;s passing and then the fire taking down a couple of places we%26#39;re all familiar with.





I don%26#39;t think anyone feels the same logging on now, but I guess that will come back with time.





I greatly miss Taxi%26#39;s presence. I was looking forward to meeting him and talking about food and bikes with him in May at CTH. Also, I hope everybody effected by the fire comes out on top. And I%26#39;m glad that everyone else is still here.





54 days...




You said what many of us have been thinking. There is a void in our forum that will be hard to fill but the warmth and commeraderie of all the members makes it easier to bear. Amazing how one little island can impact so many in such a positive way.




Glad you were able to make it down, even if it was a short trip. Too bad we didn%26#39;t have the opportunity to meet, I think we did about 12 happy hours in 7 days. Hope your daughter is recovering on schedule...hope to hook up with you guys another time.




I can relate to your trip, lbeezer... Our vacation was bitter sweet as well and I have procrastinated writing a trip report because of that. We had a wonderful time in general, seeing old friends and new but there was always the uneasiness of not knowing the latest Q report, no computer connection, asking all we met what his status was. He was still hanging on when we left, passed the day after we got home. God bless you Quentin, my friend.




What you said about the community is spot-on... exactly what I love best about Key West!




So True..... We also arrived in Key West on 02/27 hoping for good news on Q to be sadly disappointed. We also had a very other unfortunate experience. While sitting by the pool behind The Duval House we heard two gun shots. The police were called and a poor man shot himself in the church directly behind the pool. Was just sad, we then returned home to find all the other bad news after being over a week without the internet, the fire and Q%26#39;s passing. I also haven%26#39;t been able to do a trip report yet.




Well said indeed!



Key West is like having a little secret and sometimes I want to tell everyone I know how special it is but most of the time I just want to keep it to myself and only share it with the people I love and care about鈥︹€ have had such a heavy heart with all the sad news of late, but as my husband tells me; a heavy heart is better than an emty one.

No comments:

Post a Comment